Thursday, July 21, 2011

On this date in history: the release of Master of Reality

Master of Reality (Picture Disc) [Vinyl]


On this day in 1971 -- forty years ago, if you can believe -- the band Black Sabbath released their mind-blowing album "Master of Reality," featuring destined-to-be-metal-classics such as "After Forever," "Into the Void," "Children of the Grave" and others. 

My goodness, I even remember the first time I heard it. I was sitting in the parking lot of the old Lakewood Roller Skating Rink sometime around 1977-1978 -- long after its release, I know, but the progression from Elton John fan to Sabbath freak was not instant. 

Someone popped an 8-track tape into their car stereo and turned it up ear-splitting loud. My jaw dropped. I never heard anything like it. (I think my parents said the same thing when I brought a copy home soon after). 

Forty years ago. Amazing.