Friday, August 19, 2011

Finally... an offer

Although Cherry Hill High School West said "Thanks, but no thanks," and although Markham Middle School in Little Silver said, "Nice chatting with you [twice], but we found a better fit for our school," the superintendent of one of the other districts where I've interviewed gave me a preliminary confirmation that formally he will make an offer on Monday! It's not for the tenure-track "regular" job, but instead will be a long-term sub English teacher slot, either for a minimum of 10 weeks or six months. If he offers a contract, I'm hopping in my car and driving to the Board of Education to sign.  (I'll reveal which district it is once the arrangement is official).

I'll take a temporary position over no position.

In the meantime, I'm about to embark upon on a Last-Weeks-of-Summer-Writing-Binge in that short span of time while I can work on my book full time. Though back in 2002-2003 I managed to write the final draft of Hotel Dick in the wee hours of the morning before work, I'd rather not repeat that process if I can help it. Even if I get closer to finishing most of the rough draft in the next two weeks, I still can polish it up over the course of a few months without having to do it at 4:30 a.m. (I think).