Sunday, October 21, 2012

You Have Got to Start Somewhere

I know, I know -- this photo of me in a scene of Law & Order: SVU is so incredibly compelling that you are probably calling an agent or a producer right now to alert them to my acting talents. Waddaya mean "Which one are you?" BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF THE SCREEN --  ARE YOU BLIND?

Just jesting, of course. I mean, that really is me walking along the steps of the state courthouse in Lower Manhattan, and I was actually paid (as well as fed a serious gourmet breakfast) to appear as a background actor/extra in the final seconds of the show's "25 Acts" episode. But, as I alluded to in a previous post, 'tis a long, hard road to real acting. But, you've got to start somewhere. Hey, even John Wayne began as an extra, as have many other famous performers. For me, it sort of started here (well, technically I started on the show Blue Bloods, but I was even less visible in that "appearance"). 

The high point of my brief and limited acting "career" remains my stage role earlier this year as Officer Brophy in "Arsenic and Old Lace" (First Avenue Playhouse; Atlantic Highlands, N.J.). I am looking forward to pursuing additional roles someday -- though, I cannot deny,  the life of a public school teacher makes such an endeavor next to impossible. Nonetheless, the desire stirs within.